To keep your Invisalign® aligners free from plaque and practically invisible when worn, it's important to understand how to clean the aligners properly. Here are a few tips on cleaning your aligners from our Surrey and Delta dentists.
Invisalign Clear Aligners
Invisalign's clear aligners can be ideal for people who are concerned about how their smile will look while straightening their teeth.
Invisalign aligners straighten teeth, and they are almost invisible to others when worn! That means, unlike traditional metal braces, when you straighten your smile with Invisalign hardly anyone will notice.
Caring for Your Aligners and Teeth
Here is how you should care for your aligners in order to keep them clean, clear and in tip-top condition:
- To keep your aligners as clear as possible, it's important to remove them whenever drink anything except cool water. Coloured drinks can stain aligners, and hot drinks may cause the aligners to warp.
- To keep your treatment on schedule you must wear your Invisalign aligners for a minimum of 20-22 hours every day. However, when you do need to remove your aligners be sure to store them in their handy case to help protect them from damage.
- Before placing your aligners back on your teeth, thoroughly brush and floss your teeth to prevent food from being trapped between your aligners and your teeth (which could lead to tooth decay).
- It's a good idea to give your aligners a rinse in clean water, or give them a quick clean using mild soap and soft toothbrush before returning them to your mouth, to prevent plaque and bacteria from building up.
The Invisalign Cleaning System
The Invisalign cleaning system can help you keep your aligners odour-free, hygienic and clear. To find out more ask your dentist about the Invisalign Cleaning System.
Using the Invisalign cleaning system:
- Remove and rinse your aligners.
- Fill the cleaning container with warm water then place the aligners into the container.
- Sprinkle one packet of Invisalign cleaning crystals into the container and shake gently for 20 seconds.
- Soak your aligners for 15 minutes in the Invisalign solution.
- After soaking, gently shake to help remove any debris from your aligners.
- Remove your aligners from the solution, rinse well in warm water (not hot water) and return your aligners to your teeth.